Friday, July 31, 2009

carving out a studio space

SO- everyone I talk to seems to have a room, an activity or a personal goal that they really WANT to accomplish, but something keeps them from actually getting started. I talked with a friend about this recently and she shared with me how a couple who wanted to take dance classes from her- decided to quit smoking in order to afford the classes! I think that's a pretty big example of determination. This couple wanted something so much that they gave up a very addictive habit in order to pay for their classes!

So here's my goal: The above photo is my room that houses the potential for the activity I wish to have in my life- painting, working on my children's book, etc etc...

In previous posts- I mentioned how this room housed my dresser and in general was a large 8x7 ft walk in closet with shelves etc. Well NO MORE!

1st) like with those organization shows- I emptied out the entire room and started from scratch. This was a great starting point because it really forced me to only put things back in there that fit with the goal of my room- a studio!!

I kept the large shelf, but moved it to the other side of the room. I then organized its contents and consolidated the necessary sewing materials etc. I ended up clearing off 2 additional shelves that now house all of my art supplies-paper, brushes, paints, canvases, etc!

Most importantly I moved my dresser out into our bedroom which allowed for more room in the space and ultimately allowed me to consolidate all of the storage stuff to one side of the room.

So far I have spent 6 hours on this project! It's rewarding and best of all it will allow me to paint and eventually sell my artwork, etc and thus provide additional income- and add to the bigger goal of saving up for a house!


I will post the after pictures on Monday. (by then everything will be done and most importantly I will have my camera back from it's 1 month trip to Alaska with Cameron! Note the above picture was taken with the camera on my computer and thus everything is backwards... )

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...