Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy 4th of July Weekend!

Nothing quite says summer like Tomatoes!  And we need every evidence of summer around these parts! Thankfully the never ending rain that has been June and now all of July- has let up this morning  and we actually have some sunshine and shadows for a time. (I just hope it will last!)

So after dumping the tarp free of water, I tipped over each pot to drain even more water away from their soggy, soggy roots.  And after some discussion and contemplation I picked this big tomato that has been holding in there since May! I've learned with tomatoes that you have to pick off the big ones, and chop the tops of the plants in order to promote more growth.

And after all the rain we have been getting, my plants need every bit of encouragement and support!   So I am going to try the brown paper bag method- and stuff this guy in one to ripen off of the vine!  And maybe, just maybe I will have my first summer tomato sometime this Holiday weekend!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...