Monday, July 6, 2009

my first baby Hat!

One of our friends from knit night is having a baby boy in the next month and on Tuesday night's knit night- we are giving her our knit baby gifts!  Since I'm new to the scene I didn't have a ton of time... So I found this darling hat idea on Ravelry and went for it.
It's basically a square. with alternating stripes of knit and purl.

This is an idea of what it will look like when a little head is inhabiting the hat. It will make the ends of the square look like little funky ears!  I made it with a pair of 6 round needles, and I used this super soft navy yarn leftover from a hat I knit my father last year for Christmas.  I cast on about 56 stitches. Made a ribbed border, purled 5 rows, knit 5, purled 4 knit 6 or so and progressively knit more and purled less as I worked my way up to the top!  Then I finished by sewing the top of the square together along the outside to ensure it's squareness!  One could also add two small pom-poms to the tips or tassels! Options, options!

I'm thinking I might have to get a baby knitting book if this becomes a trend! lol

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...