Friday, May 21, 2010

Making my own dresses for summer- maternity style


As I've mentioned before- maternity shopping can be a bit of a downer with an often limited or boring selection or over priced merch. So far I have remedied this with buying solely maternity pants and buying more tops at H&M or forever 21 where they offer long tank tops and flowy blouses. Anywho I always knew that I wanted to take this "growing" opportunity to make my own dresses for the summer. So I've been gathering inspirational images and wanted to share at the for front of this creative endeavor.

These three dresses are from Modcloth a website which offers fun and unique clothing and accessories at a variety of prices.  So- why not just buy these dresses and call it a day? Well I'm not really sure how big I am going to be during the heat of the summer and frankly I want to give this whole dress making thing a shot! PLUS I have a lot of fabric lying around so this is a cheaper option and a good learning experience!




This coral dress is cute and flowy and to make it- I would start with a skirt shape and simply make a collar for it with a button or tie to fasten at the neck in the back.


And a classic sundress shape- make a full skirt and make an elastic high waist! Of course there's more to it than that... but it's a start.  I might also "upcycle" a few older dresses and skirts for this project. OR I might take some simple linen and silkscreen flowers around it to make it more interesting... anywho I'll keep yah posted!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...