Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Tidbits, getting in the spirit


This week I've been thinking about how to get into the Christmas spirit! With a new baby, it's fun to think about new Christmas traditions... but I feel that most of that pondering can wait until next year when she is a year old and more aware of the holiday. In the meantime I've been thinking about my own childhood- and that includes sweets and movie watching. We rented Scrooged (seen above) and I have Santa Claus on my netflix queue. Two movies that were not always in the yearly mix, but still good ones to revisit!

NEW this year: A Pandora Radio mix of Handle's Messiah and Manneheim Steamroller- which provides a fun classical alternative to all the pop christmas songs that bombard us on the radio and at stores. 

This week I'll also whip up some 6 layer bars. I emailed my mom for the recipe and here's what she wrote: 

in a 9 x 13 inch pan, melt:  (you can do this carefully on a burner in the pan if it's metal.)

one stick butter

sprinkle over the butter the following ingredients, one at a time in the following order:

1 cup crushed graham crackers (food processor or put crackers in plastic bag and roll with rolling pin)   (some recipes i found use 1 1/3 cups but the butter should absorb most of the crumbs, so you be the judge).
1 cup semi sweet chocolate morsels
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut

over the top, drizzle 1 can of sweetened condensed milk

bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.  Cool, cut in squares.

What are your festive plans for the week!?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...