Monday, March 28, 2011

Monday Inspiration: The Power of One Person


I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do. 
~Edward Everett Hale


Last night we caught a bit of 60 minutes where they talked about the Global Medical Relief Fund, a one woman charity founded and run by Staten Island resident, Elissa Montanti. Elissa started her charity in 1996, after hearing about a Bosnian boy who was badly injured after stepping on a land-mine. She was inspired to help and soon afterwards she found herself helping children injured in the Haiti earthquake, those injured in Iraq, Afghanistan and so on. She cuts through a lot of red tape and raises a great deal of money in order to fly the children to the States. She then finds doctors willing to volunteer their time to help these children with prosthetic limbs and other reconstructive surgery. 

It's really moving what one person can accomplish. Not only does she help to transform the lives of these children, but by doing so she aids in uplifting our country's global reputation.

Check out the 60 minutes article and video HERE.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...