Friday, June 10, 2011

DIY Up-Cycled Bunting, for a children's playroom


I had this idea that I shared on Pinterest to make bunting from an old beat up children's book! I finally tackled this little project and it only took me about 2 hours from start to finish.

First I used a children's book belonging to my mother when she was small. It was very beat up, the binding was falling apart and the pages were yellowing and becoming brittle. So there wasn't any guilt with taking apart this book ; ) FYI! With a measuring tape I measured an 8 inch wide triangle, split it in half at 4 to find the middle and to complete drawing the triangle (see the second image above). Then I cut it out and used the first triangle as a template to trace from.  *If I did this again I would make a plastic stencil- like triangle to trace the bunting with- allowing me to determine the composition of the image to cut out.* But I am happy with how it turned out and I like the combination of the images with the text. Then I used a hole punch to make the holes and strung the triangles together with red yarn.


The final result!!

It's pretty long, and if I had wanted to string it across the room I would have backed each triangle with another triangle and perhaps laminated them to make them more sturdy and archival.  But I like seeing all of the images in a long row and it was a quick and fun project.


Detail shots: the second triangle has an inscription from my great grandmother to my mother.



I love the illustrations. I kept some of the larger, full page drawing whole and uncut to frame at a future time!

This idea would also make a fun themed birthday party decoration!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...