Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What to Watch: Boat lift, an untold story from 9/11


Last month, around the 10th anniversary of 9/11, my mom sent me this video about the boat lift performed on September 11th, 2001. It's a little untold story about how the coast guard and average citizens responded to the World Trade Center attacks, by taking their boats to lower manhattan to help evacuate the island, bringing people to various destinations in New Jersey, etc. This short film is narrated by Tom Hanks and is a must see!

I was reminded of this story last night while in my web class.  There are only 4 of us in the class and during break I began talking with the gentleman next to me... we talked about my time living in Maine, his time living in Portsmouth, the difference between Maine drivers and Delaware drivers, the price of lobster, and then he mentioned that he used to work in NYC... and then inevitabley his story about 9/11 was told. He worked on the 92nd floor of Tower 1 and he was in the building when the plane hit. At the time he was on the 23rd floor. I asked what took him to the 23rd floor, was he on his way up to work? He said, no, he drew a name out of the hat to get the morning coffee. (shit! is right) Everyone he worked with on the 92nd floor perished. We spoke more about what his life has been like since that day... leaving his job in NYC, and moving around ever since... He also mentioned that he was on one of the boats that helped evacuate all the people on that day.  Our teacher hadn't heard about the boat lift either, so I figured it was important to share. I will say, hearing about the stories of charity, courage, and all around human decency, helps, not make sense of that day, but allows me to focus on the positive aspects and brotherly love.  I hope you enjoy this video!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...