Friday, December 23, 2011

Are those Ornaments on the Ceiling? How my Mother Decorates for Christmas



Happy Christmas Eve - Eve Everybody!!! I thought it would be fun to share a few pictures of how my mom decorates their house for Christmas. It's a real mix of vintage toys with new handmade etsy objects and other decorations from her childhood and those that belonged to my grandmother and great grandmother. Click on the images to view them larger and in more detail. And stay tuned, later today I am going to share a little DIY ornament I made this year.

Above: the mantel display in the library aka family room, has steiff toys with tiny ornaments, glittery christmas trees a glittery pair of deer and matching santa, an ornament garland, quilted decorative stockings with more steiff toys inside!


The Library ceiling with glass ornaments hanging from tiny nails. In true Pinnie fashion, there is actually a chart she drew up to insure proper ornament placement every year! ; )


a slight ironic twist on some antlers- i.e. sort of Rudolph-esque


Her collection of Santas sit atop the player piano.


The front hall, when you enter the house, has a garland on the banister, little mistletoe ball from the light fixture. And the table with paper whites- has another vintage Santa with a little elf and sheep backlit by a illumined Christmas tree. And if you enlarge the picture you might be able to see the two mice atop the clock, one in a green skirt the other in red!


And to the left off of the front hall is the Living room with a little faux Christmas tree sitting atop her sideboard. The tree and below it are decked with vintage toys and new etsy finds!


a little grouping of an old teddy bear and doll.


a bagpiper (my twin brother plays the sheep!)


Very cool old paper and tinsel ornaments, steiff toys, toy gun, and an ornament of set of knit mittens I made her last year on the bottom right. And directly below the tree sits this darling mouse pin by MouseTrapVintage. When my mom isn't wearing it to amuse her grandchildren (and herself) it rests in its trap beneath the tree! ; )


Antique family baby booties, a funny plastic baby jesus, another teddy bear, and vintage Christmas tree.


And last year I blogged about this little Orphan Angel I found on etsy by PaperMoonGallery and my mom was smitten and bought it for her tree. She has since bought a few more of these felted little wonders...

like this little angel!


The mantel in the living room with our hand knit stockings on either side. Knit by my paternal grandmother, who knit 17 of these!!! This is the room where we spend Christmas Morning! I hope you've enjoyed this mini blog Christmas tour! Have a very Merry Christmas!!!

1 comment:

Good Twin said...

GORGEOUS decorations, Abigail! Make sure to tell mom I said so. Also, so happy my little mouse can take part in your Christmas celebration and that she has such a prominent location under that festively decorated tree! MERRY CHRISTMAS! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...