Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What to Watch: Cave of Forgotten Dreams


Last night we watched Werner Herzog's documentary, Cave of Forgotten Dreams. I feel like my brain grew a few ripples during the course of watching this film. In college while on an Art Abroad to France in 2002 we went and saw some cave paintings... the experience was magical and unique but still felt like a bit of a tourist experience... Herzog's film, with its scenes of long, quiet and musical moments spent alone with the paintings, (without any narration) felt like church. Ideally what church should always feel like... it was a spiritual experience that one can have in nature, when in the presence of something truly awesome (awe-inspiring). To feel so connected to people from 25,000 years ago was truly remarkable.  I've always been fascinated with archeology and as an artist I love the line quality, gesture, and movements of these drawings... the drawings are really stunning.  There is so much more to say, more that I am still processing.  But do me a favor and watch this documentary. And I mean watch it in it's entirety, put down the phone, the computer and just sit with it. Because Herzog will make you feel as if you are actually there, in the presence of something wonderful.

(ps the trailer is nice but doesn't do it justice, I find it too choppy.) You can read more "What to Watch" posts HERE.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...