Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What I've been knitting: a Striped Wedding Blanket





One of my cousins got married this summer in Napa Valley. Sadly we couldn't go to the wedding, but in keeping with a tradition I started a few years back, I knit them a blanket to mark their nuptials! The happy couple are in Chicago for the next few years while my cousin is in grad school, so a thick wool blanket is sure to help with Chi-town's cold winters! This blanket was very fun and easy to make, so I thought I would share a little how to for those who might be interested!


As many of you may know, I love working with Cascade's eco wool yarn. You get a lot of bang for your buck (400+ yds of yarns for around $20) which is perfect for large projects. Plus it's super warm, and smells great. Since I'm not too familiar with the couple's specific decor aesthetic, I wanted to keep the blanket slightly neutral and modern with a few pops of fun color here and there.


My inspiration behind this blanket was the Purl Bee Easy baby blanket.
Only to get the desired larger size, I set out to knit 11 stripes as opposed to 7.



I used 7 colors,  and in the end only knit 10 stripes since it got too massive! The finished measurements are 57 x 72. I'm happy with the result. Big projects like this are always an interesting feat, they literally travel with you for a few months. This blanket came with us on our trip to Maine, and on countless trips to the seashore. It's always a little bittersweet to part with such an invested project, mostly because I really need to knit one for myself some day! 


and a few goofing around pictures to illustrate the scale and why I opted out of the 11th stripe!



this is my gangstah, super cozy bag lady pose.

So a very happy and warm winter to the newlyweds!


1 comment:

Mrs Robinson said...

I love it! I've been wanting to knit a blanket for a long time, I think you just inspired me to do it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...